Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Informed/Proactive Parents are the Solution

It is time to evaluate my parenting.  Not blaming, just thinking.  I know I have gotten too loose on what/how much my kiddos are watching, computing, and over-all plugged into technology.  Some of it is for schooling purposes (we home school), but some of it isn't.

Also, how am I helping them make smart food choices.  I love this site, Nutrition For Healthy Kids, that offers free material to help teach our kiddos about nutrition and health.  My kids do just about anything for a treat.  I need to remember that "treats" don't have to be food related. Also the candy season is starting:  Halloween, Christmas,  Valentine's, and Easter.  From October to April they will be bombarded with candy from church, family, friends, school, etc.

What is your plan for controlling it all?  I don't want to forbid, but do want to teach them about moderation, self-control and abstaining for a greater purpose (like their health). Time to start searching the web for some ideas.  

The last part of the infograph suggests solutions.  I do not agree with it entirely.  I believe it is our responsibility as parents, teachers, mentors, and adults to teach and educate our children.  How are you we modeling healthy diets and exercise, media intact, and self-control for them?  I do not abdicate my responsibility to the government.  They throw money are education, teen pregnancy, war of drugs, etc. and we see that we are no better off, actually worse than when they start the effort.
Parents, you are the difference!!!

Click the picture to see the enlarged version.  The original size was too wide for my blog.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment